Being more than halfway done with my college career, I got a little sentimental packing up this time. Usually coming home is so easy for me because I love my family here! So, I’m more often than not excited to come back to this little city I call home. However, it was hard this time. I was so sad that I was leaving my friends & leaving my college town. I spent a whole year in the same room – I was a little attached. But don’t get me wrong, I’m ready for some sunny days by the pool + fun nights!
Sophomore year wasn’t easy by any means & I would actually say it was even harder than Freshman year. Here are some of the bad: I lost a couple friends, went through a tough time, felt a lot of peer pressure, struggled with my weight, & had a difficult school load. I won’t get into too many details but I’ve talked about some of these in my Birthday post & New Years post. Needless to say, I learned so much about myself, others, & life throughout the good + bad times of college. I have come up with 10 core things that every college girl (& boy) needs to know + live by.
- If it won’t matter in 5 years don’t spend more than 5 minutes crying about it: I am really bad about this. I cry over the littlest stuff! Bad grade – cry. Fight with my boyfriend – cry. Gain a pound – cry. Break a nail – cyr. The little things DO NOT MATTER. You have so much going on in college that you have to learn to pick your battles & not sweat the small stuff. This is easier said than done. But whenever something is going wrong, think to yourself “will this matter in 5 year?” …. if the answer is no (which it usually is) then forget about it! Not worth your precious time.
- Don’t make time for people who don’t make time for you: You will find that you barley have time to even breathe in college between school, date parties, outside of class requirements, etc. So, if someone isn’t making time or effort for you – do NOT make it for them! This leads me to my next point >
- Friends will come & go & it’s alright: Who you are friends with right at this moment may not be your friends for life – & thats alright. Those people were placed in your life at the perfect time just when you needed them! Everyone is a blessing but there is a season for everyone.
- Your GPA does not define you: It’s just a number. Too many people think this number determines everything & your entire future. Truth is, no one cares. Do your best & work hard but don’t let your GPA determine your success. Success in my mind comes from passion + hard work.
- You will only regret the things you DIDN’T do: Obviously you’ll make some typical college mistakes (we all do) but, you will only regret the things you didn’t do. So stay up the extra hour to chit chat with your friends, go to a party you got invited to by someone you hardly know, & live a little! College seems like forever but it goes by so fast – do it all. Every bit of it.
- Sometimes, it all gets a little too much: There are going to be moments where you lose focus & it all just takes over. The walls will close in & everything will go wrong. Eventually, you will feel like giving up, but you can’t. You have to realize it’ll get better. It’s okay to not be okay.
- Everyone is going through the same thing you are: Don’t be afraid, we’re all the same. Everyone is the new kid. Everyone is stressing out about the cute boy in their class. Everyone just had a falling out with their best friend from High School. College kids at the end of the day aren’t that much different from each other. Look around & you’ll see everyone is just like you.
- Everyone has a story, be kind: You will be amazed at what you will you find out in college. People have been through a lot even though they’re just starting their 20s. Everyone has a story, be nice to everyone because you never know what they’re going through. Your smile is your biggest weapon of kindness.
- Look forward to the future but not too much that you miss today: I’m really bad about this. I always can’t wait for the weekend or to have kids or get married. But you have to enjoy today (hehe what my shirt says). You have your entire life ahead of you! 20 years from now you’ll be begging to go back to college – enjoy the moment because it’s precious.
- DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF: This one is SOOO important (saved the best for last). You CAN’T compare yourself. Everyone is at a different stage of life. Some people are ready to get married, some already have kids, some are 60 & trying to get their degree, some are so immature you wonder when they will ever grow up. Everyone is at a different stage of life – & one is not better than the other. Don’t compare yourself to anyone because it will steal all of your joy away. You are YOU & you’re always going to be YOU – so, embrace & love yourself. It’s so much more fun to be confident than it is to be insecure. No one wants to be around someone who is constantly comparing their life to others. College is full of people. There is always going to be someone smarter, prettier, skinner, richer, you name it. But guess what – they’re not you 😉
- Oh one more … You can’t do it all but do all you can: You’re not going to be able to join every club, participate in every event, & go to every party. You’re only one person! However, do ALL you can & do it all wholeheartedly.